By Douglas Habecker
Translated by Angela Cheng
Under the guidance of chef/owner Sun You-hui and his wife Joanne Chuang, Country Goose Kitchen has been pleasing diners with its excellent food and ambiance since 2000. Its menu features a selection of steaks and other creative Western entrees, including the Stewed Seafood in Bloody Mary Sauce (NT$450) that chef Sun has chosen to introduce this month. In addition to a mix of succulent seafood, the best thing of about this dish is its spicy-sour, almost Thai-like Bloody Mary Sauce, which diners can sop up with provided pieces of bread.
Main Dish Ingredients:
3-4 large prawns, 3-4 mussels, small codfish fillet, squid rings, 3-4 clams, soup stock
Main Dish Preparation:
1. Add 1/2 cup of Bloody Mary Sauce and 1/2 cup soup stock to a sauce pan and heat.
2. First add codfish fillet, cover pan, and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add prawns, cover pan, and cook a bit longer.
4. Add the rest of the seafood and cook for just 30 seconds (to avoid overcooking).
5. Remove pan from stove and mix in some finely-chopped parsley and celery and lemon juice.
6. Position shrimp around edge of a small soup bowl, pour the rest of the sauce and seafood in, and garnish with a celery stalk.
Vodka (1/4 cup), tequila (1 oz.), Tabasco Sauce (1 oz.), Worcestershire Sauce (1/2 teaspoon), 1/2 finely-diced chili pepper, tomato sauce (small 15 oz. can), prepared horseradish (1 teaspoon), finely-diced garlic (1 teaspoon), finely-diced celery (2 stalks), black pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
Bloody Mary Sauce Preparation:
Pour tomato sauce into a sauce pan and heat. Add all other ingredients, mix and cook a bit longer.