By Paul Adams
Translated by S. Ying
Restaurant: Just Diner
Just Diner has been making a big name for itself in a short space of time, with rave reviews all over Facebook and word of mouth spreading like wildfire. Thus, it comes as something of a surprise to find that owner/chef Daniel Yang is entirely self-taught. He first caught the cooking bug while studying in San Diego and most of his dishes are authentic western fare. Among popular items on his menu are a variety of quesadillas and here he shares the secrets of making the Four Cheese Quesadilla. This quick, easily-prepared dish and basic recipe can be altered to suit whatever's in your kitchen.
* 1 tortilla
* Chopped red, yellow and green peppers 1-2 tbsp.
* Chopped onions 1-2 tbsp.
* Chopped jalapeno peppers 1-2 tbsp.
* Grated cheddar cheese
* Grated parmesan cheese
* Grated Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 slice American cheese
* Cooking oil
1. Sprinkle the peppers, jalapenos and onions on one half of the tortilla.
2. Cover this with the cheese, breaking the slice into two or more pieces.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a low heat.
4. Fold the tortilla over into a crescent shape, pushing down firmly.
5. Cook on one side until golden brown, then flip over and repeat.
6. Slice in half and serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole.
The beauty of this dish is that you are free to adjust the ingredients as you see fit. Try different cheeses, add some more vegetables, or try it with some meat. Many other variations on this theme are available at Just Diner, including versions with Daniel's homemade ricotta cheese and home-cured bacon.
1. 2. 3.