Go fly a kite in Taichung
Words and translated by Audrey Liu
Spring is the perfect time to get back in touch with nature and outdoors with some warming sunshine. An great way to do this with friends and family, especially kids, is to find an open stretch of green grass for some kite flying.
Taichung has at least four ideal locations for this enjoyable pastime.
* Taichung Metropolitan Park: Taichung's largest park is home to a variety of natural eco-friendly attractions and facilities. Hours: indoor venues 9 a.m.-5 p.m., outside park grounds 6 a.m.-9 p.m. Location: 140, Lane 1215, DuHui Yuan Rd., Xitun Dist.
* Fengle Sculpture Park: This big park is another good downtown destination for leisure and exercise. Location: 331, WenXin S. 5th Rd., Nantun Dist.
* Pinglin Park: Located opposite the Taichung Armed Forces General Hospital, this park has a huge playground and many other facilities, plus bike paths. Location: 57, ZhongShan Rd., Sec. 2, Taiping Dist.
* Taichung City Seaport Art Center: The grounds of this cultural center not only include a large area for flying kites, but also exhibition areas inside its hall. Hours: 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. (closed Mon.). Location: 27, ZhongZhen Rd., Qingshui Dist.
All of the above locations are found in different corners of Taichung City, but not far from downtown areas. They also have large outdoor green spaces that are great flying kites, not to mention nice landscaping and pleasant surrounding scenery for relaxing in.
When kite-flying, be sure to take some basic safety precautions, as follows:
1. Keep away from power lines.
2. Avoid the midday sun.
3. Don't stand in the same position for too long.
4. Don't fly kites in stormy weather.
5. It's best to avoid flying a kite in locations crowded with many people.
Ready to trying some kite flying? Visit a local stationery store or hypermarkets to buy one and head outside!